Monday, January 31, 2011

Strep Throat, OJ and Ice Cream Sandwiches

Dear Dad,

I am sick. Aaron is sick. Peter is sick. It sucks!

We all have Strep and I have the added bonus of Bronchitis and some infection in my throat that is giving me a major ear ache.

I don't know why these odd things stick out in my head, but I remember the last time I had Strep VERY well. Maybe because you were there. I remember waking up with a fever that was so high I fainted in the shower. You immediately came to my apartment to take me to the doctor since you didn't think it was safe for me to drive.

I remember going to the Safeway Pharmacy after to fill my prescription and you getting me OJ and ice cream sandwiches, just like you always did when I had anything to do with a sore throat.

It was the last time I was ever sick during your life, but like every other time in my life you were there to take care of me. Even though I was 24 years old.

When I think about how difficult today was. Trying to take care of myself AND my kids. Not being able to take myself to the doctor because I was delirious from fever. I cry. Where is my Dad to take care of me? Where is the person who always dropped everything to get me what I needed to feel better?

I would do anything to have that back. To have you back.

Don't get me wrong, Brett takes great care of me. As soon as he gets off work he goes into over drive taking care of this family; but he has a "regular" job. He isn't his own boss, and he has a limited number of sick days.

Tonight after Urgent Care (for me) and the Pediatrician for the boys we stopped by the Safeway Pharmacy, picked up prescriptions, OJ and ice cream sandwiches.

Here are your Grandson's enjoying a little treat:

Peter


Aaron


I told them that my Daddy used to get me ice cream sandwiches when I was sick and Peter told me you must have had great ideas.

You had a lot of great qualities, but the way you took care of me when I was sick (which was always) really stands out to me today.

I love you,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment