Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cookie Monster

Dear Dad,

Do you remember the paper I wrote in middle school about a memorable scent? I wrote about the way you smelled after hockey games, right after you showered and put on your Speed Stick Regular Scent deodorant. Man, I loved that smell. Even now the smell is refreshing and reassuring to me. It might sound odd, but that is even the brand I usually buy for Brett.

Scent is has such a strong tie to memory for me. Smells of sawdust, a hockey rink, your hockey bag (gross!), the bread at Subway, State Fair chicken at the Great New York State Fair, and so many more.

Tonight I was brought back by a different sense - taste! Today I took the kids to the Farmers' Market to trick-or-treat. They got candy, gourds, mini pumpkins, peacock feathers, cheese, and homemade cookies from the different venders.

This evening I grabbed one of the cookies they got and sat down to read my email before bed. Ironically, I was reading an email from a MOMS Club friend who had read my blog and wanted to share her own feelings about losing her own father at a young age, when I bit into the cookie.

Instantly I was taken back to Christmas time, with you in the kitchen baking dozens and dozens of cookies to pack in tins and mail to family members around the country. They had the perfect mix of heath bar crunch, chocolate chips and nuts. The closest thing I have had to your recipe.

I had to get another one, and after I finished eating I waited until the taste was completely gone before I dared brush my teeth.

The taste made me so happy, but I realized you never gave me the recipe. You never really taught me to make them. I don't know if I can recreate them.

With Christmas right around the corner, my new mission is to find that recipe and perfect it to "Pete" standards for the holidays. The boys are going to LOVE helping and taste testing!

I wish you were around to help us.

I love you so much and miss you!
Jill

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment